A Little History


image-placeholder
image-placeholder

Lamy Village and The Legal Tender Saloon

Lamy, NM is a tiny village founded in 1880 by the Atchison & Topeka Railroad 18 miles from Santa Fe. Lamy serves as Amtrak's Santa Fe station and was once home the the Fred Harvey El Ortiz Hotel. The Legal Tender is Lamy's oldest and one of it's most beloved structures. Built in 1881 as a general store, the gorgeous oaken bar was imported from Germany and installed in 1884. By 1953 the establishment went by the colorful name the Pink Garter. In 1970 it was remodeled and named The Legal Tender. In 1986 it was named to the National Register of Historic Places, then was donated to the Lamy Railroad and History Museum in 2006. Since then the museum has curated and  lovingly cared for the building and it's collection of antebellum art, railroad memorabilia and local artifacts. The Museum is open for tours by appointment.